The NAS Pipeline Technical Director is responsible for developing, designing, and implementing pipeline tools and workflows used throughout the creative process by artists and production management.
With over 200 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
By serving as a platform for original storytelling, we’re fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows and seek to create joy for our members around the world. This guiding principle has informed our commitment to animation, a universal language, and the establishment of Netflix Animation Studios (NAS) where creative visionaries can perform their best work.
This is the new wave of animation — and you can help shape it. Our goal is to tell stories that no one has seen but that everyone will remember.
This person will provide front-line pipeline support and must be able to quickly and effectively troubleshoot general CG animation pipeline issues while operating in a fast-paced production environment. This person will report to the NAS Pipeline Supervisor and will be supporting artists and production crew in the Editorial, Story, Art and Previs departments within and across multiple productions.
A successful candidate is self-motivated, proactive, quick-thinking, flexible, thorough and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and attention to detail. This is a position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative. Equally important, their day to day approach should be guided by and in alignment with Netflix culture.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with the Pipeline Supervisor and team of Pipeline TDs to design and implement pipeline tools and workflows that service multiple productions
- Write solutions that adhere to studio development standards and best practices
- Create integrations for third party and proprietary tools and applications
- Collaborate closely with product engineering teams to stay aligned on global pipeline initiatives and other product roadmaps
- Provide front line support for pipeline-related issues across all pre-production departments
- Maintain and extend the suite of global pipeline tooling
- Craft bespoke and tailored solutions to address unique show challenges
- Write and maintain tool and workflow documentation and training
- Assist in training and mentoring of new Pipeline Technical Directors
- Collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion, and open-mindedness
What You’ll Need:
- Minimum 3 years of CG animation or visual effects pipeline experience required
- Strong Python programming abilities both in and out of DCCs
- Experience developing robust user interfaces using PySide / Qt for Python
- Thorough understanding of current industry techniques and technologies
- Advanced knowledge of ShotGrid, Flix, Maya, Nuke, Mari, Houdini, Photoshop, Storyboard Pro, Rez, Git
- Knowledge of Real-Time and/or Virtual Production pipelines a plus
- Familiarity with software design patterns and principles, such as OOP, SOLID, and MVC
- Familiarity with software development methodologies, such as Scrum and Kanban
- Proficiency with Node.js, React, Go, Rust, Java, C++, C#, or SQL a plus
- Proven ability to organize and present technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Highly organized, efficient, and detail oriented
- Self-motivated proactive team member with the capacity to work and prioritize independently
- Excellent communications skills and comfortable speaking to different groups
- Passionate about our culture and values in the workplace
- Excellent verbal, written, and e-social communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field a plus