Outfest Forward Manager
The Outfest Forward Manager works under the guidance of the Director of Programming to provide program management for the Outfest Screenwriting Lab, OutSet: The Young Filmmakers Project, InFusion, IndustryLink and other related initiatives.
Reports to: Director of Programming
Supervises: Intern(s) or volunteers as available/needed
Job Summary: The Outfest Forward Manager works under the guidance of the Director of Programming to provide program management for the Outfest Screenwriting Lab, OutSet: The Young Filmmakers Project, InFusion, IndustryLink and other related initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee Outfest Alumni filmmaker relations, including Fusion, InFusion, Outfest Los Angeles, OutSet Fellows and Screenwriting Lab Fellows
- Manage Screenwriting Lab year-roundManage organizational relationships with entertainment industry professionals through Industry Link, Breakfast Panel Series, InFusion, year-round Panels and Outfest Forward networking events.
- Manage application process via Withoutabox.
- Maintain current SWL Fellows from selection process, interviews and integrating them through the lab and also maintaining relationship with all alumni fellows.
- Manage ask process and relationships with mentors and guest speakers for the lab
- Manage selection committee members and oversee process.
- Coordinate SWL Lab logistics, locations, hospitality, etc with Sponsorship staff
- Manage and coordinate the Outfest SWL Reading (during Outfest Los Angeles) with producers, directors, actors and fellows.
- Curate and coordinate panels for all festivals with the Programming Department.
- Curate and coordinate 1-3 year round industry panels for Alumni filmmakers outside of the festival dates.
- Liaison between special guests/industry VIPS and the Programming Department.
- Providing Information and content for publicity regarding Outfest Forward Programs as needed.
- Introduce screenings; facilitate Q&As, host filmmakers/fellows and other special guests during all festivals and labs as needed.
- Write marketing content for program and initiatives to include capsules for Festival Film Guides and content needed for corporate website year round.
- Document all Outfest Programs via pictures and social media, or solicit volunteers to do so for special events.
- Manage OutSet: The Young Filmmakers Project from LifeWorks and Outfest
- Manage the application and selection process
- Manage the OutSet curriculum, classes, and production timeline over 6 months including all communication and coordination between fellows, LifeWorks, industry volunteers and Outfest
- Manage post-production process from the edit, sound mix, color correction and lay off with volunteers and sponsors.
- Maintain relationship with LA Gay Center and LifeWorks and senior volunteer producers to produce the OutSet shorts with professional industry volunteers, Outfest Alumni filmmakers and OutSet fellows.
- Manage all trafficking of OutSet and related films to other festivals
- Meet all organizational and program deadlines
- Maintain program budget
- Prior film festival or similar experience or experience coordinating and planning panels or special events
- Prior experience working in any aspect of the entertainment industry
- Prior experience working with youth (ages 16-24) in a mentorship setting
- Ability to maintain professional relationships
- Familiarity with current and historical lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender film and video.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, follow-through and persistence.
- Able to work well in a team and independently.
- Prior experience supervising paid and volunteer staff, able to motivate volunteers to complete and follow through on their commitments.
- Computer literacy, including strong word processing experience, and strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including excel and power point. Working knowledge of FileMaker and Patron software preferred, with a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
- A commitment to Outfest’s mission and an understanding of its programs and their role in the broader LGBT community.
- Ability to work well independently and as team member. Ability to take initiative, and follow tasks through to completion. Strong organizational and project management skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work and adjust to multiple demands.
- Ability to sit and work at a desk for several hours at a time.
- Ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office / have own vehicle.
- Work occasional weekends and/or extended workdays.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
Outfest is an equal opportunity employer. Outfest strongly believes in the strength of diversity and therefore, actively encourages applications from women, people of color, and any qualified person, who support Outfest’s mission.
Mission: Outfest protects our past, showcases our present and nurtures our future by fostering artistic expression of gender, sexuality and LGBTQ culture and its transformative social impact on the world.
Founded by UCLA students in 1982, Outfest is the leading organization that promotes equality by creating, sharing and protecting LGBT stories on the screen. Outfest builds community by connecting diverse populations to discover, discuss and celebrate stories of LGBT lives. Over the past three decades, Outfest has showcased thousands of films from around the world to audiences of nearly a million, educated and mentored hundreds of emerging filmmakers and protected more than 20,000 LGBT films and videos.
Qualified applicants should send résumé and cover letter via email (as attachments MS Word or PDF only) to:email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line of the email the position you are applying for.