INDUSTRY INSIGHTS: The $1 Million Indie Film Blueprint
By Stacey Parks
There's a lot of debate going on lately about how much private equity you should be raising for your film. For example, if you have a $1 million budget, what percentage of that budget should be private investors' money?
The fact of the matter is that ethically speaking, and if you are working with investors who want to recoup their investment, you shouldn't have more than 10%-25% of your budget raised through private equity. Where does the other 75%-90% come from then? It should come from:
- Tax credits
- Debt financing
WHY? Because if you expose your investors to $1 million (or more) pure equity investment, there's no chance on seeing anything but a small percentage of that in revenue to repay them. Period. (believe it or not I still have people coming to me for Consulting who have $4, $5, and $10 million budgets with absolutely no justification and no clue that they will never be able to repay the investors they are going out to seeking that money).
Deadline Approaching: CPB/PBS Producers Academy
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) invite you to participate in the 2011 Producers Workshop at WGBH, an initiative of the CPB/PBS Producers Academy, which offers professional development activities designed to identify public broadcasting's next generation of creative talent. The Workshop will be held in Boston, October 15-21, 2011. The twenty-five producers selected will receive scholarships that pay for the cost of the Workshop and the week's travel and living expenses.
The Workshop provides an opportunity for producers to work intensively on the skills that will benefit them most, through classes and direct contact with some of public television's most talented personnel. It is open to both station-connected and independent producers; to producer/writers and producer/directors; to individuals who have worked locally as well as nationally, in all genres of programming; to producers working in video, film, and interactive media, and in studio-based as well as field production. Please note that the Workshop is not for beginners.
Information and applications: www.pbs.org/producing/producersacademy
Applications are due at PBS by 5:00 pm Eastern on Friday, July 8, 2011.
Deadline Approaching: Film Independent's Producers Lab
Film Independent's Producers Lab is an intensive seven-week program designed to help filmmakers develop skills as creative independent producers. Producers Lab Fellows develop a strategy and action plan for their projects, including a detailed budget, schedule, and business plan. Lab Fellows are introduced to film professionals who advise them on both the craft and business of independent producing, and have one-on-one meetings with established independent producers and other industry professionals who act as advisors on the their projects.
Qualified Producers Lab applicants are eligible for the $25,000 Alfred P. Sloan Producers Grant.
Application Deadline: July 11, 2011
For more information and to apply, click here:
Call for Entries: Petaluma International Film Festival
Petaluma International Film Festival, a showcase for the independent feature and short films from around the world, is inviting the filmmakers from all over the world to submit their films for its 3rd annual event taking place October 21-23, 2011 in Petaluma, California.
There is No entry fee.
Deadline: August 15, 2011
To submit your film, please send a DVD and a press kit [synopsis, your bio and photo, some stills from your film], and the following information:
Year of Production:
Cast [if any]:
Has the film been shown before, where?
Website [if any]:
Petaluma International Film Festival
1680 Tiburon Blvd.
Tiburon, CA 94920 USA