Job ID 539494BRLocation Anaheim, California, United States Business Disney Parks & ResortsBrand Disneyland ResortDate posted 05/21/2018
As an integral part of the artistic development process at Disney Parks Live Entertainment, Show Directors are responsible for ideating, developing and providing creative direction on a wide range of entertainment projects. These projects may include: character experiences, stage and atmosphere shows, as well as on-site and off-site conventions and special events that serve the business needs of Retail, Marketing, Public Relations and Public Affairs partners. From inception through production, Show Directors oversee large and small memorable Guest experiences that are innovative, experiential and immersive. The Show Directors are responsible for establishing and maintaining Entertainment Show Quality standards in partnership with entertainment operational areas.
The Show Director is responsible for developing new and relevant entertainment concepts. The role requires flexibility and a willingness to adapt to shifting priorities and business needs. The Show Director provides creative direction on the execution of approved shows and/or events – driving his/her projects from inception through production. This includes idea generating, development of treatments and scripts, casting, leading rehearsals and ensuring the sustainability and excellence of performances. Accountability includes providing direction and collaborating extensively with multiple partners before and during production, including Production teams, Designers, Artists, Music Directors, Writers, Choreographers, Maintenance Choreographers, Talent Casting, Clients, Producers, and Sales Managers as appropriate. Show Directors collaborate closely in the selection of creative teams with the Creative Director, Producer and/or entertainment executive. Other responsibilities include establishing entertainment show quality standards with the operational areas to ensure on-going show quality is maintained.
- Minimum of five years proven professional experience developing original material, directing live entertainment experiences in theatre and/or directing experience of industrial show products
- Demonstrated knowledge of creative writing, understanding of the craft of stage performance, musical theatre, and technical theatre/stage craft
- Knowledge of entertainment production and/or operations in a professional theatrical, theme park, and/or cruise line environment
- Demonstrated innovation and creativity in past live entertainment productions
- Ability to understand client needs and develop ideas to meet their objectives
- Proven excellent communication skills and strong presentational skills, including experience with articulating an artistic concept to executive leaders, partners and clients
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work professionally with diverse groups of people
- Inspiring team player with strong interpersonal skills and positive attitude
- Demonstrated ability to interface with all levels of management
- Working knowledge of standard business practices and procedures
- Adaptability to wide variety of work environments
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Willingness to work nights and holidays
- Demonstrated strong grammatical knowledge. Fluency in additional languages a plus.
- Demonstrated strong computer proficiency
- Prior Disney experience and/or knowledge of the Disney brand
- Prior theme park show director experiences
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in theatrical discipline
Masters of Fine Arts in theatre field or equivalent
About Disneyland Resort:
When Walt Disney opened Disneyland on July 17, 1955, he said he hoped it would be “a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” Since then, the Disneyland Resort has welcomed more than 800 million guests, expanding to become an approximately 500- acre, multifaceted, world-class family resort destination, complete with two renowned Disney theme parks, three hotels and the exciting shopping, dining and entertainment area known as Downtown Disney District. Through a combination of creativity, technology and innovation, the resort brings storytelling to new heights, and Disneyland Resort cast members play an integral part in bringing that Disney magic to life for thousands of guests every day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Entertainment Productions, which is part of a business segment we call Disneyland Resort.
Disney Entertainment Productions is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.