California State University, Los Angeles is looking for an Assistant Professor of Production and Post-Production.
AL | TVFM - TTF
College of Arts & LettersPosition: Department of Television, Film and Media Studies
Assistant Professor of Production and Post-Production
1) An earned MFA, or equivalent, in media, film or other closely-related discipline from an accredited institution or MBA or JD from an accredited institution is required at the time of application.
2) Professional credits in media, film or television production and/or post-production
3) Evidence of successful teaching experience in media
1) Professional experience in multiple areas of media production and/or post-production
2) Demonstrated knowledge of professional media software and/or hardware
3) Experience in supervising student-driven projects
4) Professional experience related to entrepreneurship, leadership, collaboration, and/or project management
5) Evidence of creative works being presented in internationally recognized markets (including but not limited to Film Festivals, Streaming Platforms, Commercial/Theatrical release)
6) Demonstration of critical understanding of the entertainment industry, media history, and/or film aesthetics
The primary professional responsibilities of instructional faculty members are: teaching, research, scholarship and/or creative activity, and service to the University, profession and to the community. These responsibilities generally include: advising students, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions.
The successful candidate will be committed to the academic success of all of our students and to an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates diversity and differences. To this end, the successful candidate will work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings. In addition, the successful candidate will be ready to join faculty, staff, students, and administrators in our University’s shared commitment to the principles of engagement, service, and the public good.
Initial salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is one of 23 campuses within the California State University system. The University is the premier comprehensive public university in the heart of Los Angeles. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the U.S. for the upward mobility of its students, and is dedicated to engagement, service, and the public good. We offer nationally recognized programs in science, the arts, business, criminal justice, engineering, nursing, education, ethnic studies, and the humanities. Our faculty have a strong commitment to scholarship, research, creative pursuits, community engagement, and service.
Our 240,000 alumni reflect the City and County’s dynamic mix of populations. The University has one of the most diverse student populations of any college or university in the nation. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, and Asian-American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, Cal State LA recognizes the transformative power of education and embraces its duty to identify and serve the needs of all of its students. The University is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual.
The Cal State LA College of Arts & Letters transforms lives and sustains thriving communities and cultures. We develop and amplify our students’ unique talents, diverse life experiences, and intellects through the study and practice of the Arts and Humanities so that they can tell meaningful stories, forge their professional pathways, and inspire their communities.
The Department of Television, Film & Media Studies offers undergraduate programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree in Television, Film and Media Studies and Journalism. The program leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Television, Film and Media Studies offers Options in Production, Screenwriting and Media Studies. The department also offers graduate programs leading to a Master of Arts degree in Television and Film Studies and, jointly with the Department of Theatre Arts, a Master of Fine Arts degree in Television, Film and Theatre with Options in Content Creation, Writing, and Acting. It is the primary objective of our curriculum to develop a knowledgeable and artistically skilled graduate who will be able to pursue a professional career in journalism, television, cinema, and/or media. The program emphasizes the importance of the media in multi-cultural society, as well as the media’s impact on all aspects of human interaction .
Please submit the following to the Search Committee Chair at the email address below:
1) A cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
2) A narrative statement describing your commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic urban campus environment with a substantial population of students who are among the first-generation of their family to attend a college or university.
3) A curriculum vitae.
4) A list of three professional references.
5) A University Application for Employment Form
6) A teaching philosophy addressing how your teaching and professional expertise supports student engagement and learning.
7) A 2-3 minute reel or links for up to three professional projects.
Finalists will be required to submit:
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Please email all application materials in a single PDF to: [email protected]. Please type “TVFM Tenure-Track Application” in the subject line.
Please address all questions to the search committee chair Dr. Kristiina Hackel at: [email protected].
Note: The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
In addition to meeting fully its obligations under federal and state law, Cal State LA is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. To that end, all qualified individuals will receive equal consideration without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, marital status, pregnancy, national origin or cultural background, political views, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, age, disability, disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran status.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/TITLE IX EMPLOYER
Upon request, reasonable accommodation will be provided to individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment process and (b) perform essential job functions when this does not cause undue hardship.