Sr. Director, System and Organizational Development @ PBS
The Organizational Development team will help individual stations and groups of stations understand and implement new organizational models and systems.
Location: Arlington, VA
DEPARTMENT: Station Services
A network of vibrant, thriving member stations across the country is the foundation of a healthy public broadcasting system. PBS and our member stations are all interconnected and reliant on one another for our success, which hinges on our ability to meet the needs of the communities we serve. PBS Station Services is committed to carrying out three interrelated initiatives - focused specifically on Community Engagement, Organizational Development and Station Leadership Development – that are viewed as critical to increasing member station effectiveness.
The Organizational Development team will help individual stations and groups of stations understand and implement new organizational models and systems. The team will work with individual stations that have created new structures as well as groups of stations that have already begun or are considering new collaboration and consolidation efforts. The initiative will include guidance on network development, strategic planning, governance, and resource allocation.
This initiative will help achieve several goals of the PBS Strategic Plan, including a strengthened alignment between PBS and member stations, more diverse revenue streams at local stations, and increased local vitality through more efficient non-profit modeling.
The Sr. Director, System and Organizational Development will lead this initiative, working directly with member stations, cross-departmental teams at PBS and national organizations (such as Corporation for Public Broadcasting and National Public Radio).
- Serve as a strategic consultant to PBS member stations, working with individual PBS member stations and groups of member stations to understand and implement new organizational models and systems;
- Provide member stations strategic guidance on network development, strategic planning, governance, and resource allocation;
- Manage development of case studies of system and network development for system-wide circulation, using subject matter expertise to identify and develop future models for the system;
- Participate in PBS regional training meetings and annual conferences, leading discussions around system development;
- Work with CPB, NPR, and other public media partners to ensure the initiative is coordinated and implemented timely and successfully;
- Develop business models for station success, anticipating the full lifecycle of business plans, seeing and communicating the “big picture” and outlining possible unintended consequences;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 8+ years of progressive experience working in Organizational Development;
- 5+ years of experience with business development and business modeling;
- Demonstrated experience successfully implementing organizational development plans;
- Experience with system and network capacity and analysis;
- Prior experience as a consultant or in a consulting environment helpful.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required;
- Graduate degree in a related field or MBA preferred.
- Expert knowledge of Organizational Development schools of thought, understanding and communicating the pros and cons;
- Strong knowledge of Systems and Network development;
- Superior project management skills;
- Strong written communications skills;
- Entrepreneurial, willing to experiment and take risks;
- Ability to successfully deliver on key organizational imperatives by working effectively across departments and with multiple internal/external stakeholders;
- Ability to identify and prepare for unanticipated outcomes;
- Ability to adapt quickly to a changing environment and work collaboratively with different stakeholders;
- Excellent organizational skills, with a keen ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work effectively under pressure;
- Excellent problem-solver with the ability to see both the big picture and understand the small details;
- Attention to detail and pride in high-quality execution of work;
- Passion for public media with a dynamic, high-energy, self-motivated, and independent professional work style.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities